Frequently Asked Questions
What is auto insurance?
Auto insurance protects you against the financial loss when you have an accident. It is a contract between you and the insurance company. You agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay for your losses as defined in your policy.
- Auto insurance provides property, liability and medical coverage.
- Property coverage pays for damage to, or for the theft of your car.
- Liability coverage pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage.
- Medical coverage pays for the cost of treating injuries, rehabilitation and sometimes lost wages and funeral expenses.
An auto insurance policy consists of six different kinds of coverage. Most states require you to buy some, but not all of these coverages. If you're financing a car, the lender may also have requirements.
Most auto policies are for six months or a year. Your insurance company should notify you by mail when it's time to renew the policy and to pay your premium.
Why do you need auto insurance?
It's really all about protecting yourself financially.
- If you're in an accident or your car is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
- If you or your car is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for much more than you're worth.
Not only is having insurance a wise financial decision, many states require you to have at least some coverage.
Questions to ask your agent about auto insurance
Your Independent Agent is an advocate for finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can you afford to pay if you get in an accident? (To keep premiums low you may want to have a higher deductible and be willing to pay more for repairs.)
- What is the insurance company's level of service and ability to pay claims?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about good driver discounts, multiple policy and student discounts.)
- What's the procedure for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
What is Homeowners insurance?
Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.
Homeowners insurance is a package policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for any injuries and property damage you or members of your family cause to other people. This includes damage caused by household pets.
Damage caused by most disasters is covered but there are exceptions. The most significant are damage caused by floods, earthquakes and poor maintenance. You must buy two separate policies for flood and earthquake coverage. Maintenance-related problems are the homeowners' responsibility.
Why do you need homeowners insurance?
It is really all about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home or possessions. That's important because chances are your home is likely one of your largest investments.
- If your home was destroyed by fire or damaged by a natural disaster, you'd need money to repair or replace it.
- If a guest in your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses.
- If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.
It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. Ask your agent to talk about what is covered and be sure to read your policy so you know exactly what's included and what is not.
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent about homeowners insurance
Here are few things to discuss with your agent that will influence your decisions.
- How much will it cost to rebuild my house and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed? (Ask your agent to talk you through your home's features and the things you own so you can make an informed decision about coverage.)
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about multiple policies, security systems and fire resistance discounts.)
- What's the process for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)
- What is included in a free consultation?
- Our goal is to make sure that you have THE insurance that covers YOUR situation and NEEDS!! Therefore, during your free consultation, we do an assessment of your current insurance position to ensure that you have what you NEED for YOUR situation.
- If I call, with whom will I speak?
- When you call, you will speak with Chris Akers.
- If I send an e-mail, who will read it and who will respond?
- When you specifically email one of our agents, the intended recipient will respond. If your email was not specifically addressed, you will most likely hear from Chris Akers.
- Is the initial conversation confidential?
- ALL conversations are confidential per HIPPA.
- What happens after the initial conversation?
- We go to work for you! Our staff at The Akers Solution does the searching to see that your NEEDS are met with the best interest of YOUR situation, desires, and budget… NOT the insurance company!!
- Due to the current state of the nation do you offer video conferencing?
- We understand how the current situation requires each person to stay as safe and healthy as possible. Therefore, if you prefer, we are glad to meet with you via Facetime, Zoom or Skype.
- What kinds of Insurance do you provide?
- The most requested types of insurance we provide are homeowners, auto, Medicare, life and health. However, there are many other types of insurance that we help people get. These include business insurance, motorcycle, renters, final expense, critical illness (cancer, heart attack and stroke insurance), dental & vision, and hospital indemnity.
- How long does the process of getting insurance take?
- In some cases, it can be as quick as the next day and several days in other cases. It depends on the insurance needs and the client qualifications.
- Do you provide Home and Auto Insurance help?
- Yes. Our purpose is to help you find the insurance solutions that meet your needs and work for you.
- Can you help me with Medicare applications?